2018 Young Artist Competition - Requirements
The Seattle Wind Symphony is pleased to announce the 2018 Young Artist Competition and concert, Some of Our Favorite Things, on Sunday, February 11, 2018. We invite applications from any performer of a woodwind, brass, or percussion instrument who is 14 - 19 years of age. The winner will perform with the Seattle Wind Symphony at its concert on Sunday, February 11, 2018 and will receive a $500 prize. The winner will be notified via email by Friday, December 1, 2017.
- Must play a woodwind, brass or percussion instrument.
- Must be between the ages of 14 and 19 on the date of the concert, Feb. 11, 2018.
- Must be a member of a Washington State high school or college band program or a youth band or orchestra.
- Must be available to perform with the band on Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 03:00 pm and rehearse on the evening Feb. 5 or Feb. 7 or Feb. 9.
- The audition piece must be the same piece to be performed with the band in concert.
- The performance time of the solo must not exceed 12 minutes in one or more movements.
- The audition must be submitted via video recording posted on YouTube (see application procedure) and the soloist must be accompanied by piano.
- The solo must have a band accompaniment readily available for rental or purchase by the Seattle Wind. Symphony. Music selection must be approved by the Conductor of the Seattle Wind Symphony.
Prize and Benefits to Winner
- Performance with the Seattle Wind Symphony.
- $500 cash prize.
- Professional recording of the concert performance.
- Winner certificate
- Submit audition video by uploading your video to YouTube and submitting the URL as part of your application. The video recording must be a complete and unedited version of the solo as you intend to perform it with the band.
- Complete application form
- Begin your video recording by announcing your name and the name of your solo.
- Submit application and recording no later than Wednesday, November 1, 2017
Direct application questions to: Competition@SeattleWindSymphony.org.